What’s the process for adopting a child?
• Contact a Recruitment Worker to discuss your interest in adoption.
• An information package will be sent to you
• Submit the Adoption Application to the worker and an in home interview will be scheduled
• Attend nine week PRIDE pre-service training
• Complete adoption questionnaires, including financial information
• 5 Reference letters
• Police checks for each adult living in the home over 18 years of age
• Driver’s abstracts for each driver living in the home
• Medical report detailing the past and current health of each applicant
• SAFE home study- consisting of 4-5 interviews and a safety inspection of your home
• A family picture or profile
How long does the adoption process take?
• 6 months to 2 years for the process above
• it can take much longer to actually proceed in adopting a child
Who decides which people will receive adoptive children?
• the birth families can assist in this decision in the case of infants
• agency workers will match children and families
Do I have to be wealthy to adopt a child?
• No, but you must show that you can support a child on your income
Do I have to be married to adopt a child?